I have a compression fracture in my spine due to osteoporosis. The fracture has caused my spine to hunch forward, and I'm in pain all the time. I prefer not to take pain medicine because it makes me so groggy and constipated. Is there anything else I can do?

A new procedure called kyphoplasty is showing promising results for patients with compression fractures from osteoporosis. The procedure is done by a neurosurgeon either in the office or hospital. A needle is inserted in the fractured vertebra, and a balloon is inflated to help restore the height of the vertebra. Then a "bone cement" is placed in the bone to stabilize the fracture and maintain the height of the bone. Ask your health care provider for more information about this new procedure.

 Post to Del.icio.us

 Email to a Friend

*Disclaimer:*The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.

All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Back to top

MySpace Tracker